Major advantages associated with the use of radiation based level gauges include:
- They consist of no moving parts, hence free from wear and maintenance.
- Radiation based level measurement is basically external to the process since these are non contact type of level sensors which do not require making physical contact with the liquid substance under level measurement.
- They can be easily applied in severe process conditions where other level measurement devices fail, for example areas involving high temperatures, intense pressures and complex installation conditions.
- They are quite adaptable and reliable in difficult level measurement areas.
- Unlike other level sensors, the working of radiation based level gauges doesn’t depend upon environmental conditions such as pressure, temperature, viscosity etc. It is also free of all the chemical characteristics of the process fluid.
- Radiation based level measurement technique doesn’t cause any affect on the process liquid under detection. It just keeps maintaining its original state.
“Because they can in effect “see” through solid tank walls, nuclear radiation gages are perhaps the ultimate in non-contact sensing. Because they require a gamma radiation source and are relatively expensive, however, nuclear gages are often considered the level gage of last resort.”