Although today is very much type of heat exchanger that was developed in industries, but the shell and tube heat exchanger type is more widely used than other types. This is due to several advantages of shell and tube heat exchanger type as follow:
- Configuration shell and tube heat exchanger type provide large surface area with small shape or volume.
- This heat exchanger type has good mechanical lay-out and good shape for pressurized operation.
- Shell and tube heat exchanger type use well-established fabrication techniques.
- This heat exchanger type can be made with different materials in which selected materials can be used in accordance with operating temperature and operating pressure.
- Easy to clean shell and tube heat exchanger type.
- This heat exchanger type has well-established planning procedures.
- Its construction is simple and can uses relatively small room.
- The procedure of shell and tube heat exchanger type is not difficult, very easy to be known and understood by operator that has low educational background.
- The construction of this heat exchanger type can be split to each other; it is not a unity, so the transportation is relatively easy.