ASTM International, originally known as the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM), is the largest voluntary standards development organization in the world. Throughout 67 volumes in 16 different areas, the organization has included standards in test procedures for determining chemical composition and performance metrics.
ASTM develops valve standards for valves made of a particular material and for a specific application. Examples of their standards include:
- ASTM A961/A691M - Standard Specification for Carbon and Alloy Steel Pipe, Electric-Fusion-Welded for High-Pressure Service at High Temperatures.
- ASTM B61 - Standard Specification for Steam or Valve Bronze Castings.
- ASTM F1030 - Standard Practice for Selection of Valve Operators.
- ASTM F1802 - Standard Test Method for Performance Testing of Excess Flow Valves.
- ASTM F1793 - Standard Specification for Automatic Shut-Off Valves (Also Known as Excess Flow Valves, EFV) for Air or Nitrogen Service
- ASTM F1794 - Standard Specification for hand-operated, globe-style valves for gas (except oxygen gas) and Hydraulic Systems