Calibration Balance

Hi, may i ask about that I have a standard weight of 10 kg with a conventional mass of 306 mg. I place it on the balance to set the calibration mode (adjustment) as 10KG. How do i know the conventional mass for 5kg?

The conventional mass is used to account for variations in the gravitational force at different locations around the world. When a weight is used to calibrate a balance, the balance is adjusted to display a reading corresponding to the weight’s conventional mass rather than its actual mass.

The conventional mass you’ve provided (306 mg for a 10 kg weight) is likely the correction that’s been applied to account for the difference in gravity at your location compared to the standard gravity used in the definition of the kilogram (9.80665 m/s²).

To find the conventional mass for a 5 kg weight at your location, we’d normally expect it to be half of the conventional mass of the 10 kg weight, assuming that the difference in gravity is linear over this small range of masses. So, the conventional mass of a 5 kg weight would be about 153 mg.

However, this is a simplification and might not be entirely accurate. The correction due to gravity is also affected by factors like the balance’s height above sea level and the local geological composition, which can cause slight non-linearity in the correction. For a more precise conventional mass, it would be better to use a 5 kg weight that’s been calibrated at a national metrology institute.

Remember, conventional mass is used to ensure consistency in measurement across different locations, so it’s important to use properly calibrated weights for the most accurate results.