- Diagnostic qualities of echoencephalography (echo ranging) reveal abnormal brain structure like tumors & dilated ventricles.
- The principle underlying is similar to that of SONAR & RADAR.
- An ultrasonic equipment short bursts sound energy is formed into beam by transducer & directed into body.
- The echo received indicates distance of reflecting tissues.
- The reflections are displayed as peaks versus distance & show symmetry of brain structure.
- Asymmetric peaks may indicate swellings in brain or tumors.