- SCR has high surge current ability.
- SCR is used in electronic crowbar circuit for overcurrent protection of power converter.
- In this protection, an additional SCR is connected across the supply which is known as ‘Crowbar SCR’.
- Current sensing resistor detects the value of converter current.
- If it exceeds preset value, then gate trigger circuits turn ON the crowbar SCR.
- So the input terminals are short-circuit by SCR and thus it bypass the converter over current.
- After some time the main fuse interrupts the fault current.