Flaring systems are used to burn-off and dispose of waste, excess or off-gases, and as a safety system to protect processes and equipment. They are found throughout the world in oil and gas processing systems, refineries and petrochemical plants.
Flare flow meters are a critical component used in these systems to monitor, measure and report the gas flows within these systems.
Flare flow meters provide plant operations with a tool to signal abnormal process changes, early leak detection, and report on flared gases to comply with environmental agency reporting.
Selecting Acceptable Flare Measurement Uncertainty
- Meter error expressed as % of reading or range or both?
- What does the flow-meter first read – mass, pressure, velocity
- What is the estimated annual flare quantity & target
- Are we measuring by volume or mass
- What are the expected changes in composition / density.
- How frequently do we operate at the limits – lower & upper?
Image credits: Husain Nuruddin