The main objectives of the fire and gas system are to protect personnel, environment, and plant (including equipment and structures).
The FGS shall achieve these objectives by:
- Detecting at an early stage, the presence of flammable gas,
- Detecting at an early stage, the liquid spill (LPG and LNG),
- Detecting incipient fire and the presence of fire,
- Providing automatic and/or facilities for manual activation of the fire protection system as required,
- Initiating environmental changes to keep liquids below their flash point
- Initiating signals, both audible and visible as required, to warn of the detected hazards,
- Initiating automatic shutdown of equipment and ventilation if 2 out of 2 or 2 out of 3 detectors are triggered,
- Initiating the exhausting system.