Piping Engineering Codes and Standards
WHY IT IS REQUIRED
- Selection of proper material aSd detail out the material specification.
- Standardization can and does reduce cost, inconvenience and confusion that result from unnecessary and undesirable difference in systems.
- One of main objective of each code is to ensure public and industrial safety.
Industry standard are published by professional societies, committees and trade organizations.
It can be broadly classified into the following categories.
- RECOMMENDED PRACTICES
A group of general rules r systematic procedures for design, fabrication, installation and inspection prepared in such a manner that it can be adopted by legal jurisdiction and made into law.
Documents prepared by a professional group or committee which are believed to be good and proper engineering practices and which contain mandatory requirements.
Documents prepared by a professional group or committee indicating good engineering practices but which are optional.
STANDARDS FOR PIPING DESIGN
- ASMEB31.1: Powerpiping
- ASME B31.2: Fuel Gas piping.
- ASME B31.3: Process piping.
- ASME B31.4: Pipeline Transportation system for liquid Hydrocarbon and other liquids
- ASMEB31.5: Refrigeration piping.
- ASME B31.8: Gas Transmission and Distribution piping.
STANDARDS FOR PIPING COMPONENTS
- B36.10M: Welded and Seamless Wrought Steel Pipes
- B36.19M: Stainless Steel Pipes
- B16.5: Steel Pipe flanges and flanged fittings
- B16.47: Large diameter steel flanges
- B16.48: Steel Line Blanks
- API 5L: Line Pipe.
- B 16.9: Factory Made Wrought Steel Butt- Welding Fitting
- B 16.11: Forged Steel Fittings, Socket-Welding & Threaded
- API 594: Wafer And Wafer Lug And Double Flanged Check Valve
- API 599: Metal Plug Valves-Tanged & Welding Ends
- API 600: Steel Gate Valves - Flanged and Butt Welding Ends, Bolted and Pressure Seal Bonnet
- API 6D: Pipe line valves, End closures,Counselors end swivels
- API 593:Ductile Iron Plug Valves- Flanged ends.
- API 600: Steel gate valves.
- BS 1414: Steel Wedge Gate Valves flanged Cud Butt Welding Ends)
- BS 1868: Steel Check Valves) flanged & Butt Welding Ends)
- BS 1873: Steel Globe, Globe stop cud Check Valves )Flanged & butt welding ends.
- BS 5351: Steel Ball Valves
- BS/EN 593: Specification for Butterfly valves
- BS 5352:Steel Wedge Gate, Globe and Check Valves 50mm and Smaller
- BS 5353:Steel Plug Valves
- Bd 6364:Valves For Cryogenic Services
1)B 16.53:Metallic Gaskets for Steel pipe flanges, ring joint, Spirel-Wound, and gasketed.