The switched reluctance motor basic principle is based on Faraday’s law of electro magnetic interaction.
- Whenever a current carrying conductor is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force. The direction of force given by Fleming’s left hand rule.
- SRM is a single excited and double salient pole electric motor. Due to the variation of reluctance the motor should be operated.
- The SRM develops a torque due to variable reluctance.
- When air gap is minimum, the reluctance will be minimum; hence inductance will be maximum.
- So the rate of change of inductance is zero.
- When the reluctance various in the motor, there will be a change in inductance so when a particular stator winding of SRM is energized,the rotor pole comes in alignment with that stator pole and thus the rotor rotates.