Thermowells provide protection for temperature probes against unfavorable operating conditions such as corrosive media, physical impact (e.g. clinker in furnaces) and high pressure gas or liquid. Their use also permits quick and easy probe interchanging without the need to “open-up” the process.
The main application areas are:
- Protection tube are used in thermocouples
- Insures integrity in high pressure applications
- Smaller wells are used in low pressure applications
- Straight wells are used in corrosive and erosive environment
- For applications where a quick response to changes in temperature is required, fabricated pockets may be fitted with a reduced tip.
- One-piece Thermowells are suited to the highest process loads, depending on their design. Thus in the petrochemical industry, one-piece thermocouples are now used almost exclusively.