Velocity flowmeters are popular because they give a direct measure of fluid velocity, the characteristic most commonly associated with flowrate. These flowmeters, however, are among the most sensitive to process conditions.
Turbine & Paddlewheel
Turbine meters and paddlewheel meters are among the most versatile flowmeters.
- One meter can be manufactured to handle a wide range of flowrates.
- Turbine meters are highly accurate.
- Low cost.
- May be constructed of a variety of materials to handle a variety of fluids.
- Paddlewheels provide a more cost-effective alternative when less accuracy is required or with viscous flow.
- Low mass of rotor allows rapid response and ability to measure pulse flow.
- Can cause large pressure drops.
- Flashing or bubble formation may occur if the downstream pressure of a liquid stream is too low.
- Require lengths of straight pipe upstream and downstream.